Thursday, June 28, 2012

Frozen Peanut Butter Pie with Pretzel Crust


For 3 years of doing the dishes. 
For 3 Years of sweeping up sprinkles and spices and wiping cake batter off of the walls. 
For 3 years of making me laugh when I want to cry... for telling me everything is going to be alright. 
For tolerating 3 years of bad reality TV and 90's pop music. 
For 3 years of letting me be right, even when he knows I'm wrong. 




For 3 years of tech support. 
For 3 years of cuddles. 
For 3 years of living in a girl mess of magazines and cookbooks and scented candles... for constantly having to step over shoes, purses, scarves and nail polish, only to be yelled at when he leaves his hat on the kitchen table. For all that and so much more, this guy deserved dessert.



And not just any dessert... a dessert with peanut butter AND Reese's peanut butter cups. His favorite things.  

I made this treat for my guy on our 3 year anniversary. An attempt to make up for me being a high-strung-high-maintenence-whiney-stress-basket the other 364 days of the year, and because I love him. And seriously? Because I'm beginning to think it's the desserts that keep him hanging around ;)



The original recipe I followed did not involve yogurt, but I had issues when it came to "melting" the peanut butter with the icing sugar... It simply wouldn't happen. The peanut butter stayed firm when heated, and as I added the sugar it only seized up more. I blame it on my all natural peanut butter... Or my all natural incompetence. 

Either way, I had to toss the first batch and start over. I needed to bring the nut butter to a consistency where it could be easily folded in with the whipped cream. My solution came in the form of a tub of Greek yogurt already in my fridge. Thank god for Greek yogurt! Its thick, creamy, tangy, and low in fat (because thats totally what I was going for here.not). The final result was just a dish full of sweet-salty-nutty-chocolatey-amazingness. The boy loved it and so did I. 






Frozen Reese's Peanut Butter Pie with Pretzel Crust 

Adapted from Bakers Royale.

Crust- Ingredients 
4 Cups Pretzels (I used Glutino gluten free pretzel sticks) 
1/2 Cup butter, melted 
1/2 Cup white sugar 


 1. Lightly butter a springform cake pan or tart dish (I used a 9 Inch cake pan), preheat an oven to 350F. Combine sugar and pretzels in a food processor, pulse to combine. With the processor running, stream in melted butter through the opening. The mixture will be the texture of wet sand. 


2. Press the pretzel mixture into the prepared pan with your fingers, use the palm of your hand to firmly press down the bottom crust until it is flat. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and set. Let cool. 


Filling- Ingredients 
2 Cups whipping cream
1 1/4 Cup icing sugar
1 Cup smooth peanut butter 
3/4 Cup plain Greek yogurt 
1 Cup Reese's minis, roughly chopped 
Reese's cups for topping, halved


1. Whip the whipped cream until peaks form, add 1/4 cup of the powdered sugar and beat briefly just to combine. Set in the fridge to stay cool. 


2. With an electric mixer, cream together the peanut butter and yogurt, add the powdered sugar and mix until all lumps are gone. Fold together with the whipped cream, then fold in the mini Reese's cups (or chocolate chunks, or whatever add-ins you want!). 


3. Pour into the prepared pie crust and top with Reese's halves. Freeze for at least 3 hours before serving. 


This can be made a few days in advance, just be sure to take it out of the freezer at least a 1/2 hour before serving to allow for easier cutting.  Will keep in the freezer... indefinitely? I mean, it's ice cream. Come on. 


P.S. Make this for your Canada day celebrations and everyone will love you. I promise. Have an amazing long weekend friends! Hopefully the weather will stay nice and I will see you all at the beach :)



9 comments:

  1. Yummy recipe and the poem-ish story was great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And thanks for commenting :) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not just the desserts that are keeping me around ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i guess it must be the dishes!!!

      Delete
  4. Happy 3 years you two! You are so great together! And a fantastic dessert Maia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed a excellent stability, especially at the front, cheap ted baker dresses allowing to attack downhill with confidence even when the ground is brittle. Just a little regret about the ted baker outlet rockfall could have been a little more protection on the sides. The shoe is hot and relatively impermeable although ted baker dresses sale not with Gore Tex membrane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was going to make this for a friend but wanted to quickly clarify: when you say "whipping cream" do you mean liquid heavy whipping cream, or like cool whip? Or sprayable pre-whipped cream? Let me know!

    ReplyDelete